© 2013 Hampen Gurney Church of England Primary School
Art and Design
We believe Art and Design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a unique way of understanding and responding to the world around us.
Pupils at Hampden Gurney are encouraged to explore ideas and meanings in the work of artists, craftspeople and designers, learning about the diverse roles and functions of art, craft and design in contemporary life, and in different times and cultures. Art and design has been a focus for us recently, our efforts rewarded by being given the Bronze Artsmark award.
When teaching Art and Design, our aims are:
- to enable pupils to become visually literate: to use and understand art as a form of tactile communication
- to develop creative and technical skills so that ideas can be realised
- to develop pupils’ aesthetic sensibilities and enable them to make informed judgements about art
- to develop pupils’ design capability
- to have confidence and competence in reading and evaluating visual images and artefacts
- to develop pupils’ ability to articulate and communicate ideas, opinions and feelings about their own work, and that of others
As pupils progress through different topic areas, they have the opportunity to work independently, as well as in collaboration with others. As well as creating individual masterpieces, pupils are also encouraged to comment on and suggest improvements to their own work, as well as that of others.
At Hampden Gurney, we are fortunate that we currently have a dedicated art teacher who works with pupils across the school. Having an art specialist on-site has meant pupils have been able to gain in knowledge and experience from someone who has a real passion for the subject. Pupils have produced an increasingly wide range of excellent artwork using different materials and stimulus as starting points. Much of the work produced is displayed around the school, or exhibited in the school’s annual art exhibition.
We are very fortunate living in the centre of London that we are so close to a range of museums and galleries. Pupils have taken part in a number of workshops at local galleries and exhibitions, enhancing art lessons at school.